1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup whole almonds with skin
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar**
1/4 tsp salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 lb firm-ripe pears*** (about 6), peeled & sliced
1 tbsp vanilla extracts
1. Make topping by pulsing together flour, oats, almonds, brown sugar, spices and salt in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped. Add butter and pulse just until blended. Coarsely crumble in a shallow baking pan and chill at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.
3. In a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and vanilla over medium-low, swirling pan occasionally, until butter is browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
4. While butter browns, stir together sugars, flour, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add pears and toss to combine.
5. Spoon filling into a pie dish and sprinkle with topping, mounding it slightly in the center. Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate and bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes more.
-- Cool to warm on a rack.