2 cups whole wheat flour
pinch salt and pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter
4-6 tbsp ice water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin and yellow curry
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained clear
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup boiling water
one bunch each of arugula and spinach
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Prepare the dough:
1. Place the flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
2. Add the shortening in pieces and pulse to incorporate.
3. Add the oil to the 6 tbsp. water and slowly pour into the dough while processing. Only add as much water as needed to form a solid dough – a ball should form as the dough spins in the bowl.
4. Remove the dough and knead a few times if necessary. Flatten and then wrap with plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight.
Prepare the filling:
1. Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil until soft. Add spices, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the red lentils and stir in the boiling water. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are soft. If necessary, uncover and gently cook until all the water has cooked off or been absorbed. Set aside.
3. Steam the spinach and arugula until just tender. Drain well and chop. Add the spinach to the lentil mixture and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Remove the dough from the refrigerator a few minutes before assembling.
2. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut out six 6″ rounds.
3. Divide lentil mixture between the circles and brush a bit of water around the edges.
4. Fold dough over to make a half circle and gently press the edge with the tines of a fork. Prick each turnover a few times on the top.
5. Place the empanadas on baking sheets and bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Adapted from An Unrefined Vegan.