1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp yellow curry powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tomate paste
1 bay leaf
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed & drained, or 1 pound dried, cooked
4 packed cups spinach
1 15oz can of coconut milk
1. If you're starting with dried chickpeas (like I have to here in Turkey), soak them overnight, drain the water and rinse thoroughly, and cook them in fresh water until tender. Add a bay leaf to minimize on your post-meal 'fumes'...
2. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat and sauté the onion, until it's translucent and soft, 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and bay leaf, then stir in the rinsed and drained chickpeas and cook until the flavors are well blended, around 20-30 minutes.
5. Add the spinach, stir together and cover for 5 minutes. When the spinach is wilted and incorporated, you can remove pot from the heat.
6. Once removed from heat, add in can of coconut milk. It is important to not add the coconut milk during the cooking process because it loses its flavor and thickness when cooked. Enjoy!