1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees; have a baking sheet or heatproof platter ready to keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter (or oil), and eggs. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened (do not overmix; a few small lumps are good!).
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
5. For each pancake, pour about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into skillet.
6. Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet or platter; cover loosely with aluminum foil, and keep warm in oven. Continue with remaining batter.
*Serve warm, with desired toppings. I love mine with honey, maple syrup (difficult to find here in Turkey), homemade strawberry jam, or any of Ikea's Swedish-style jellies.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.