For the Batter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
For the Glaze
3 tablespoons butter; melted
1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard bread pan.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
3. Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.
5. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
6. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 40-50 minutes as a bread/20-25 minutes for cupcakes, or until it is a pale golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle of the center comes out clean.
9. When cake has cooled slightly, pour your glaze over the cake (placed and ready on serving dish).
10. Serve warm, or cool on a rack and store in an airtight container. Cake will keep at room temperature for about a day. It doesn't last longer than a day in my home though.
Adapted from My Baking Addiction's muffin recipe.