Makes approx. 9 cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (based on preference/availability)
1 tsp. vanilla or vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1. Beat softened butter and sugar with a mixer on low to medium-low speed until creamy. Add in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla and beat until well- combined.
2. Whisk together cocoa, baking soda, flour, and salt in a small bowl, and then slowly add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
3. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. (This step is painful!)
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F.
5. Make 9 cookie balls .
6. Bake for 6-8 minutes until barely set so they remain a bit gooey inside. They will seem under-done. Allow the cookies to remain on the cookie sheet outside of the oven for at least 2-3 additional minutes to firm up. Serve and enjoy warm!
Adapted from Rachael Ray.