1. Heat a large frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the sliced onions. Sauté until quite brown (or 'caramelized') and set aside.
2. In a 4-quart covered pot place the lentils and water. Bring to a boil, covered, and then turn down to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Once cooked (not soggy!), drain the excess water from the lentils.
3. Cook rice according to packaging.
4. Mix caramelized onions, cooked rice and lentils together in a large bowl. Season with your salt and pepper. Drizzle at least 2-3 tbsp of olive oil over the mixture. It is the olive oil and the salt that enhance the flavors of the lentils and onions.
* Serve alone, or with plain or garlic yogurt and a lemony green salad.
A recipe from the home of Dalia Mortada.