Pizza is always a hit in my house. Fortunately, it's an easy go-to dinner too. If I'm totally lazy or tired, I'll go to a 'government-bread' bakery here in Turkey and purchase hamur (unbaked leavened dough) and use that for my pizza crust. My favorite toppings include sautéed mushrooms and spinach, goat cheese, caramelized onions, fresh tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
Customize your pizza with your own favorites!
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour, plus more for rolling
1 tsp sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
1. Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball.
2. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
4. Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
PIZZA SAUCE RECIPE
1 can (28-ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, in juice
1 small white or sweet onion, finely diced and minced
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
3 to 4 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, to sauté
1. Empty the contents of the tomato can in a mixing bowl and coarsely crush the tomatoes with a fork or your hands, leaving them just a little chunky.
2. In a heavy bottom 2-quart sauce-pot, add the olive oil, over a medium high flame and heat a little. Add the onions and sauté until slightly translucent. Add the garlic and sauté about a minute until golden. Quickly add the crushed tomatoes to the mix. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
3. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the basil and oregano. Simmer on a low flame, stirring often for at least 15 minutes. If not using right away, cool down and store in airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 1 week.