3 large eggs
1 cup milk
10 to 12 slices white bread
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
maple syrup or other syrup
1. Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl with enough room to dredge your bread in the egg-milk mixture. Beat lightly with a fork.
2. Stir in spices, vanilla, and milk.
3. Over medium-low heat, heat griddle or skillet coated with a thin layer of butter or margarine.
4. Place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side.
*Note: Soak/coat only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time.
5. Transfer bread slices to griddle or skillet, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side.
6. Serve French toast hot with syrup.
*Note: I warm the oven and keep my finished toast (or should I say Finnish toast? Puny.) hot while I continue making the rest of the toast!