2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with green chiles if you can find it!)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper1/2 chicken bullion cube
1. In a large saucepan, melt the oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add rice and cook until the rice is browned.
4. Stir in the water, tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 15 to 17 minutes.