2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper (if you have it, I did not and it worked out fine).
2. Toss the oatmeal, wheat germ, and walnuts together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
4. Place the butter, honey, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture. Add in your apricots. (Don't like apricots? Trade in for dates, craisins, raisins, or any other dried fruit of your choice.)
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Adapted from Ina Garten.